Consumer product safety — Guidelines for suppliers
A number of governments have established laws and requirements for suppliers to place only safe products on the market. In this way, they are trying to deal more broadly with dangers associated with consumer products, rather than developing standards or regulations for every single product.
ISO 10377:2013 provides practical guidance to suppliers on assessing and managing the safety of consumer products, including effective documentation of risk assessment and risk management to meet applicable requirements.
ISO 10377:2013 describes how to:
- identify, assess, reduce or eliminate hazards;
- manage risks by reducing them to tolerable levels;
- provide consumers with hazard warnings or instructions essential to the safe use or disposal of consumer products.
- identifying any safety risks and managing them.
- monitoring the product in the marketplace;
- communicating use and warning information to consumers;
ISO 10377:2013 is intended to apply to consumer products, but might also be applicable to decisions concerning safety in other product sectors.