Quality management systems — Particular requirements for the application of ISO 9001:2008 for automotive production and relevant service part organizations
The ISO/TS 16949 Quality Management System certification standard for the automotive industry enables organizations to demonstrate their commitment to product quality and compliance to customer requirements.
In addition, the standard allows to continuously improve quality management systems and related processes. It specifies the quality system requirements for the design/development, production, installation and servicing of automotive-related products. The global automotive industry demands world class levels of product quality, productivity and competitiveness as well as continual improvement.
To achieve this goal many vehicle manufacturers insist that suppliers adhere to strict technical specifications laid out in a quality management standard for suppliers to the automotive sector, known as ISO /TS 16949. The international recognition of the ISO/TS 16949 standard increases the credibility of organization when bidding for global sourcing contracts or expanding business locally. Gaining certification also helps to reduce production variations and improve manufacturing efficiency which can positively impact the bottom line. Furthermore, ISO/TS 16949 helps create a common quality system approach to the entire supply chain (for suppliers/subcontractors) and facilitates access to the industry's best practices.
Who is it relevant to? ISO/TS 16949 is relevant to all types of automotive supply companies, from small manufacturers to multi-site multinational organizations located anywhere in the world. However, it is only applicable to sites where production or service parts are manufactured. Benefits :
- Licence to trade - For most vehicle manufacturers, certification is a mandatory requirement that is internationally recognized - helping to do business worldwide.
- Reduces waste and prevents defects - The specification is based on ISO 9001 and encourages a process approach. Understanding the inter-relationship of processes through the use of the standard can enable improved product and process quality and ultimately avoids variation in the supply chain.
- Flexible and easy to adopt - ISO/TS 16949 is based on ISO 9001, making the process approach easy to adopt and integrate with other key management systems including ISO 14001 Environment and OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety. It also complements many existing business improvement tools, such as FMEA, PPAP and Six Sigma.
- Brand reputation - Certification can provide additional confidence and consistency to all interested parties in global sourcing, enabling greater business opportunities and attracting more investment prospects.
- Saves money by avoiding duplication - For suppliers to a number of different vehicle manufacturers, certification to ISO/TS 16949 avoids the need for multiple certificates, thereby eliminating duplication in preparation and documentation as well as second- and third-party audits.