National Programme for Organic Production (‘NPOP’)
The National Programme for Organic Production (‘NPOP’) provides for Standards for organic production, systems, criteria and procedure for accreditation of Certification Bodies, the National (India Organic) Logo and the regulations governing its use. The standards and procedures have been formulated in harmony with other International Standards regulating import and export of organic products. The aims of the NPOP, inter alia, include the following:
- To provide the means of evaluation of certification programme for organic agriculture and products (including wild harvest, aquaculture, livestock products) as per the approved criteria.
- To accredit certification programmes of Certification Bodies seeking accreditation under this programme.
- To facilitate certification of organic products in conformity with the NSOP.
- To facilitate certification of organic products in conformity with the importing countries organic standards as per equivalence agreement between the two countries or as per importing country requirements.
- To encourage the development of organic farming and organic processing.